Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Countdown to Sochi


If you have been reading this blog for awhile now, you know that I love a good pop culture event, and that my most favorite pop culture event of all is the Olympics. Every two years, in a burst of patriotic pride, I am glued to my TV for the better part of two weeks. I devour news stories about Team USA, and regularly check the medal count. I cheer for ice skaters, gymnasts, runners, swimmers, skiers, and even for the athletes in the more obscure sports like shot-put and bobsled.

This past summer I was, quite literally, consumed with all things London. And when the torch was extinguished, I started counting the days until Sochi - 541 days from the closing ceremonies of the 2012 summer games, if anyone is interested in keeping track of that sort of thing.

Well. This morning, as I was walking to work, I happened upon this sight when I passed Rockefeller Center. Now, being more of a Good Morning America girl myself, I usually walk past Rockefeller Center as fast as possible to avoid the fanatical Today Show crowds. But today, for just a minute, I joined the masses. Because right on the plaza where Matt, Al and Savannah usually make their appearance for the 8:00 hour, stood a fully functional ski slope. And milling around and on the slope were Olympic figure skaters, skiers and broadcasters, all celebrating one year until the 2014 games in Sochi, Russia.

So I stopped to join the celebration. And because when there is a ski slope in Midtown Manhattan, one must pause and enjoy the moment.

I love me some Olympics, and there are only 365 days until they once again grace our TV screens.

Let the countdown begin.

1 comment:

  1. ". . .because when there is a ski slope in Midtown Manhattan, one must pause and enjoy the moment."

    I think that about captures it! I would love to live in NYC. . . San Francisco and Oakland are great, but I doubt if I'll ever see a ski slope on either side of the bay. . .

    ReplyDelete