Monday, July 1, 2013

The Elevator Pitch. Or, Making Myself Sound as Interesting as I (Hopefully) Am.

Seventeen months ago.

It was a rainy February Friday. It wasn't cold, but it also wasn't warm. It was one of those days where you remember that there might be this season called spring sometime in the future and walk around with your down jacket unzipped, but that also reminds you how thoroughly sick of winter you are as you dodge puddles of slush and wonder if your rain boots with their fleece liner will just become permanently attached to your feet.

I was sitting in my office staring out the window, completely uninspired, waiting for the day to be over.

And then I started writing words.

So on that uninspired and completely ordinary February day, this blog was born.

At first I thought I would write about books, because that is what I love. Then I thought I would write about running, because I love that too. Then I thought I would write about the political and social issues that matter to me. Then I thought I would write about family, because my love for them weaves its way through all of the other things.

And then I decided I would just write it all, which has been amazingly fun, incredibly fulfilling, and ferociously complicated to explain. I groan inwardly every time someone asks me what my blog is about. And then I sputter and stumble and end up saying something completely nonsensical but it doesn't matter anyway, because whoever asked stopped listening practically before they finished asking the question.

Well. I think maybe that stops today.

For Day 1 of Yeah Write's 31 Days to Build a Better Blog, the assignment is to write an elevator pitch. No more than 150 words describing what exactly we write about. Easy right? Not at all actually. But here goes nothing.
I used to write in a journal. I wrote about everything and nothing and all of the things in between. I told my stories even though no one would read them, maybe not even me once I turned the page. And I loved every minute of the thrilling rush that was putting pen to paper.
But now I want to share, and here is the place where I will. Here is where I will write the story of who I was, who I am and who I want to be. Of the family that made me and continues to make me. Of the New York life I never thought I would have and the big law firm career I never thought I would want. Of the books that fulfill me and the running that sustains me. Of the deliciously unexpected ways that life can surprise. 
This is my story. And I would really like to tell it to you.

28 comments:

  1. I think that this works really, really well with your blog title -- it lets us know that we're getting intimate parts of you and your life and that you're focused on good writing and good storytelling. Yay, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. You let us know that we get to hear those private thoughts of yours and the story that is your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this, and how you started with the background. I think the last line should be stronger. What about "Gather round"? or "Are you ready?" I just think that it's stronger to assume that everyone wants to read the story and that you are going to tell it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the backstory! Well rounded pitch - makes me feel like I know exactly what I'm in for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "This is my story. And I would really like to tell it to you." I like this. You are sharing your heart with readers. And I'm partial to reading about anyone's love, struggle, passion for running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love. Struggle. Passion. I'm not sure you could have picked three better words to describe my relationship with running.

      Delete
  6. I really like this. I like that you mention family, law, and NY, because those themes do recur throughout. But where did the running and reading go? I'm not criticizing, because I think it's a good pitch and you don't need to mention them, but you could. Just some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so incredibly right, and thanks. I think I should have sat on it a little more before I hit publish. I'm editing now...

      Delete
  7. Samantha, I like how your elevator pitch tells a concise story prior to your last line stating, "this is my story". I was able to envision you writing in your journal, and the snippets you mentioned definitely drew me in.

    I think it's great. If I just stumbled upon your blog, that pitch would make me want to read more.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading your YeahWrite posts I knew your stories had a very journal-istic quality to them, and knowing the back story? It fits together really well. Nicely done (and can I say you make it look really easy!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from YeahWrite 31dbbb.
    @JLenniDorner

    It sounds like your blog is about your views, perspectives, and insights on that which matter most to you. But then I got to your pitch.

    The first paragraph, while informative, didn't grab me.
    The second one did.
    And that ending is great!

    Except nearly every writing site will suggest that people don't want to be told a story. They want to experience it or be put into it. (Quite a contradiction to anyone who looks at history- especially before literacy and the printing press became popular!)
    So maybe instead of "tell it to you" go with "share it with you" or something.
    People are supposed to want to share and like it. (I know a few who disagree with that as well. The last season of Rescue Me had a very funny anti-sharing moment when he went with two of the kids to the park.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your last paragraph really caught my attention. I especially like the part 'The story of who I was, who I am and who I want to be. Of family....Of New York..."
    May i suggest switching from "Here is where I'll write the story of..." to "This is the story of" or 'My story of...", it sounds a little more personal. Just a thought, and I really do like your pitch :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! Perfectly describes you and your blog in the way you do so well. I'd let go of the last line - don't think you need it. Compelling either way. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm pretty sure the last line is history. The more I read it, the more I don't think I need it either.

      Delete
  12. Great pitch! Um, maybe I'm just lame, but I think it's great as-is. I am already behind on the challenge. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, I think meeting you in this bogging world is the best thing that ever happened to me. I heart you.

      Delete
  13. I too like the "who I was, who I am, who I want to be" line. It shows that your blog isn't just an online journal for recording your present thoughts, but also a place to explore the past and future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what it turned in to, even though that wasn't originally what I thought it would be when I started writing.

      Delete
  14. I really liked this especially the ending. I wonder if you might not be able to cut the first paragraph? I totally hear where you're coming from with private journal writing evolving into a need to share your work because that's me too. But I wonder if it's necessary to mention in a pitch-type scenario. But ::: shrugs ::: Eh. What do I know? I'm totally hooked on your blog either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just read your pitch a couple of hours ago, and I'm insanely jealous of it. I'm totally down with WWMGD.

      Delete
  15. Sam, this describes you and your blog really well (you and I have the whole "lifestyle" blog thing going on, and it's SO HARD to describe sometimes) and I love the way you invite us in. It's VERY inviting and warm. Esp love the series near the end starting with "of." Nice and concise, too! I approve.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, wait--do people call you Sam? I think I am thinking of how you put it on Yeah Write, but that might be for space. Apologies if you don't go by Sam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great and it fits with what you do here. It felt like an invitation which is nice for readers.

    ReplyDelete