Friday, November 30, 2012

Thirty Days


A lot can happen in thirty days.

Thirty days ago, I was spending my last day in Manhattan before our big move. Thirty days ago, New York was just starting to return to life after the devastation of Hurricane Sandy. Thirty days ago I didn't know my way around our new neighborhood, and I was awfully nervous about my new, expanded commute to work.

Yes, a lot can happen in thirty days.

At the end of October, I signed up for a blogging challenge to blog every day of the month of November, including weekends and holidays. And it was a little daunting when I added my name, and this blog, to the list, but I decided to go for it. And the month was hard, but, as it turns out, it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

I had a rough time at the beginning of this month. I have never been particularly good with big, dramatic change, and the hurricane, combined with our move and then a massive snowstorm, almost did me in. But I had a mission, and a purpose. To come here every day and to write words. To write about what was going on, and how I was feeling about it. To process the whirlwind days by sharing my thoughts, and recording all that was going on. Blogging every day has helped ease my transition in an extraordinarily significant way, and I am so happy that I accepted the challenge.

And there were a few days where a picture and a couple sentences had to suffice, but that was ok with me. Because this morning, as I went back through my posts this month, I realized that they were some of the posts of which I am most proud. The words I wrote over the past thirty days were not always happy words (although some of them were), but they were real, true, and most importantly, mine.

I am incredibly grateful to the ladies at Yeah Write for posing the challenge, and for the whole Yeah Write community for unwavering support and thoughtful comments over the past month. It has been tremendously fun to take this journey with you all.

So, here's to the last thirty days. And to the next.

8 comments:

  1. Brava! Are you keeping up daily posting then? I'm pretty sure I'll go back to 3-4/week. More, if I'm inspired but I don't expect that to happen every week. It was fun to be your columnie! You did such a great job! Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's strange. Part of me is sad NaBloPoMo is at an end because I'll really miss this grid. Somehow doing NaBloPoMo with you all made me feel okay with putting a higher priority on reading and commenting on blogs I enjoy. Instead of "I'd like to check in on Samantha's blog but I really should be folding laundry" I was able to say "I know I should be folding laundry but I'd really like to check in on Samantha's blog first. It's NaBloPoMo. I've got to be supportive." There's a lesson to be learned some place in there, I'm sure.

    At any rate, I've really enjoyed this month. I'm glad you kept on blogging even given all the change that was happening around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm bookmarking the grid. Even though the people on it won't blog every day and I know I won't read every day, I've really enjoyed the diverse points of views and stories the group has shared.
      It kind of feels like summer camp is ending. It's good to go home, but you'll miss your new friends.

      Delete
    2. I so agree with Larks and Cynk - I'm going to bookmark the grid too. I couldn't get around to everyone as much as I wanted to, and I'm looking forward to having more time to read again (I'm going back to posting 3-5 times a week rather than daily).

      Delete
  3. Aren't you just so proud of that gorgeous "Nailed It" badge Erica made? I am! But I have to say, I never would have been able to do this through a move; I'm very impressed with your grace and fortitude. Grid buddies forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very glad you all found support on the NaBlo grid. I should compile a list of all the farewell posts for everyone to read. I am really enjoying the recaps. Thanks for hanging in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on making it!! I've really enjoyed getting to know you better. I have some of your posts in my inbox still and I know I didn't get to comment on all of them. You were so much better about commenting on mine than I was on yours (sorry!)

    Can't wait to KEEP reading you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did it! I'm bookmarking it too. It's a huge accomplishment that I am minimizing until I see all of your comments.

    ReplyDelete