Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Blind Date: Part II

The bus was late.

That irritating detail stuck in my craw as the bus, which finally showed up seven minutes after its scheduled arrival time - rolled down Columbus Avenue.

It probably would have been faster to walk the ten blocks, but I just didn't feel like getting there sweaty, frizzy haired, and out of breath. I may have been a mere week away from law school finals, jittery from too much caffeine and not enough food, but I had standards after all.

I got off the bus and as I walked the two avenues to the cafe I forced myself into date mode.

He was leaning against the ubiquitous Manhattan scaffolding in front of the restaurant. It was a busy evening, and he was not the only one standing there. I asked myself later how I knew who he was. I had never seen a picture of him - I was too wrapped up in my finals haze to do the requisite Facebook/Google stalking. But somehow I knew.

He looked up as I approached. His eyes met mine for the first time, and there was this thing in my stomach. This feeling. I swear to god that my heart beat an extra time or two, and I thought that blond hair and blue eyes had never looked so good.

Thoughts of retribution for my little sister for forcing this blind date on me slipped from my mind. This guy was hot.

He introduced himself, and I was suddenly shy. And I have never been shy. Introverted, yes. But shy, never.

We sat at a table outside, right under a heat lamp the cafe helpfully provided for the unpredictable April weather. Wrapped in a cozy cocoon of warmth, we ordered cake and coffee.

I panicked for a minute when the waitress took the menus away. It was at this point in most of these dates that the evening started to go downhill. Without the obligatory "what looks good on the menu" conversation, there was often nothing else to talk about.

There was a beat of silence while we sized each other up. I waited for the first date questions to start, and prepared my first date answers.

And then.

"I saw the craziest thing today," he said.

Momentarily caught off guard that there was no question mark at the end of his sentence, all I could do was nod.

"I was walking down Broadway, and I saw a man get hit by a bus. Not a fast moving bus or anything, and the man was OK. But I actually saw a man get hit by a bus. We use the phrase 'get hit by a bus' all the time, but you wonder how many people really do get hit by buses. But it happened today, and I saw it."

Something about this story struck me as so hilarious that I started laughing and couldn't stop. Not polite first date laughter. Stomach hurting, tears streaming kind of laughter. I had to wave down the waitress to ask for an extra napkin to wipe my eyes, and from there, the conversation flowed.

I wish I could remember everything we talked about. I don't. I wish I could look back and replay the entire date in my mind like a movie. I can't. I don't remember all the specifics, but I remember the feelings. And I remember feeling like this was someone worth getting to know.

The cafe was exactly halfway between our respective apartments, so when we got up to leave I prepared myself for the slightly awkward good-bye on a busy Manhattan street. But instead, he walked me home.

For ten blocks we walked and talked and laughed some more. And I wished that we could walk forever. In front of my building we said a goodbye befitting a really good first date, and I watched as he walked away. Before he crossed the street, he turned around to flash a last smile and wave. And I felt that thing in my stomach once more.

The piles of study materials stacked on every available surface surprised me when I let myself into my apartment. I had forgotten that they were there.

Figuring I could put in another hour before it was time for bed, I changed my clothes and prepared to buckle down.

But I didn't read a word of my notes the rest of the night.

Instead I just lay on my bed, dreaming.

This is a follow up to last week's post
Epilogue: Three years after this date, a little more than two years ago, I married that gorgeous blond-hair, blue-eyed man

22 comments:

  1. ohhh i love it! happy happy - may all your days be full of flutters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great first date story, especially since blind dates can go either way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They so can. I got lucky here, but I had some pretty dreadful ones before this.

      Delete
  3. Delicious story. I love it. I went on a blind date during finals one year. He was gay and hot, but it didn't work out. Because he was gay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dates during finals were always so fraught. On the one hand I felt like I needed a break, but on the other hand leaving my piles of notes made me feel like an abysmal failure. Thank good those finals days are over.

      Delete
  4. Samantha, you rock for giving us a follow-up to last week. And it was worth the wait! Love this story, the mix of detail and blur exactly like life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I sometimes wish I could remember more about it, but I kind of like that I remember it just a little bit blurry.

      Delete
  5. This is so very sweet. I also loved the follow-up! I guess it shouldn't surprise, coming from a romance novel enthusiast ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love romance novels beyond all reason, so sometimes its fun to write that way too. I may or may not have a romance novel in the works myself :)

      Delete
  6. Loving this thread of story from your life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that there's a follow up from last week!! "How we met" stories always get me, and this one is terrific. You know it's going to be good when you can relate quickly as old friends and let your guard down *despite* the butterflies. You're inspiring me to think about (maybe write about) my own 'how we met' which had some similar elements. Will this continue? I'd love to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much fun to look back, and write about those early days. I might make it a series. Maybe Yeah Write November will be about all of our relationship milestones :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, cuteness! I love it! And what an interesting first conversation -- so much better than, "Where did you go to school? What did you study? Blah, blah, blah..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so awesome at conversation, and it made the date (and our life together!) so much fun.

      Delete
  9. Oh, boy! I just love this story and I may even love it more than part one! " remember the feelings" that's how I am too. This I never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is really fun to look back on that night.

      Delete
  10. What a sweet story! I never believed that "sometimes you just know" baloney until the one time I just knew. Sounds as if the same thing happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. More story! Yay! To be continued, please?
    I love that "thing" in the stomach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it!! Someone who can make you laugh that hard - that's a keeper. Sounds like a amazing first date!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every stage of a good relationship is wonderful, but those dreamy new days are pretty special.

    ReplyDelete