Monday, November 26, 2012

Home


Every time I come through the tunnel, this view grabs me by the throat. It leaves me momentarily speechless as I once again absorb the gritty wonder of this skyline. 

This is the vista that welcomes me home.

I was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. A third generation southwestern-Pennsylvanian, it barely ever occurred to me that there were other places on the planet to live. This was my place. I spent my childhood racing around its streets, first holding the hands of my parents, and then accompanied by forever friends as I got older.

Its hills and rivers and soaring trees became a part of me. Its rich history my own. 

My dad taught me Steeler football, and twelve months a year I bleed black and gold.

When I was in high school we moved away from Pittsburgh for awhile, but it was still my home, and I came back often. I would fly into the Pittsburgh airport, and was met by family for the unremarkable drive into the city. The route took us through some suburbs, and strip malls, and industrial complexes, and I drove it so many times I barely noticed anymore. 

But then. Then we went through the Fort Pitt Tunnel, and when we came out the other side, the world opened up into that view. And I was home again.

Each and every time I go back to Pittsburgh - far more often since my parents moved back three years ago - I find myself steeped in familiarity. I revel in walking the streets of my childhood, and see myself throughout the years on each and every corner of the city.

I have lived four different places since we moved away from Pittsburgh. I have soaked in the balmy nights of Jacksonville, Florida, lived shoulder to shoulder with American history in Boston, experienced the frenetic energy of Manhattan, and have now settled into the quiet grace of Westchester County. And I have taken something important from each and every one of those places. 

But there is, and forever will be, only one place to which I am inextricably linked. Only one place that has made an indelible mark on my soul.

It may not be where I live right now.

But it is still home.

From the backyard of my parent's new house, I can see my old house.
Talk about coming full circle.

25 comments:

  1. There's no place like home! Glad you get to visit often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was so happy when my parents moved back a few years ago, so now I can go whenever I want.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful ending. I feel the same way about being rooted somewhere. I've only felt that way once before, and it was when I stepped out of the airport on Kauai, Hawaii. Maybe I was a tropical bird in a past life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother-in-law was raised in Monroeville and when her father was still living and Scott andin State College, we visited often. I enjoyed the drive and loved the way the houses were nestled into the hillsides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats so funny that you have southwestern PA roots also. I think Pittsburgh is the coolest city in the world. There is so much history, and so many diverse and beautiful neighborhoods to explore.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Stacie -- there's no place like home. I love that first line about the view grabbing you by the throat. That line really grabbed me too. Very powerful phrasing in an overall touching post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Pittsburgh is a really special place for me.

      Delete
  5. It's beautiful. And I would love to visit! PA and Boston are on my list of places I want to go! What a cool place to call home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pittsburgh is the best. It is definitely worth a visit if you ever find yourself around PA.

      Delete
  6. Isn't is funny how you can live many places but home is still home?

    I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Angela - great opening! And wonderful pictures - what a beautiful view from (and of) your parents' house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Samantha. I've never been to Pittsburgh, but would love to visit as you make it sound like a great place to grow up. I like that you bleed black and gold. Those die-hard Steeler fans. I like your nostalgic writing. It has a beautiful flow to it. I live where I grew up. I hope my daughter feels this way when she's all grown up even if she moves around as you have - that generational connection is to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, it really was a great place to grow up. When my husband and I were looking at houses, I actually chose the town because it reminded me so much of Pittsburgh.

      Delete
  9. Home is such a wonderful place! I've lived in several different places, and I guess home is where I am right now. :) Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why am I bawling? This is a great post and returning there. So well written. Love the line about forever friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christie! There is something really special about forever friends, people who have known you your entire life.

      Delete
  11. I've never left home, except for a few towns away. so I can't really relate. But this was so well told that I can feel that feeling!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky that you have lived in the same place. There is something really special about that.

      Delete
  12. I loved this so much, Samantha. It speaks to me because my parents are gone and I miss "home," where they used to live in Michigan. It doesn't feel familiar anymore; it no longer beckons me. That's a very strange feeling.

    I'm so happy for you that you still have it. Savor it and share it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen. I can imagine that would be really strange to not have familiarity in a place that used to be home.

      Delete
  13. Isn't it amazing what you take for granted until you move away? I love going home for visits too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone I know from Pittsburgh has this unexpected fierce loyalty to the place. I can't quite explain it. But I guess you just did. :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet, sweet post! A lot of love pouring out of it. It's funny, even though I have only lived in Boston for seven years, it is home. it is the place that takes my breath away every time I land in Logan and drive through the city. When I climb the three flights to my little condo I let out a sigh and realize that I have been holding my breath a little until I am back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to college in Boston, and I loved it so much. I can understand how it can quickly come to be home.

      Delete
  16. I've been to Pittsburgh only once, to see the Grateful Dead in '88 or '89, but I sure had a good time! Very sweet post; I feel much the same about Austin.

    ReplyDelete