Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Summer Days


Morning is my favorite time of day; especially in the summer.

Summer nights have their place too, with their romantic, balmy breezes and sultry heat, but it's the mornings that pull at me. That get me out of bed and outside where the neighborhood is quiet, the sun is already shining, and the long, long day stretches out ahead of me.

Never can I remember a summer I've soaked in quite like this one. Maybe it's because winter in New York was practically apocalyptic, or maybe it's because I had a rough go of it for a few weeks there in the spring, but whatever the reason, I can't seem to get enough of the summer.

Every day when I wake up my back yard beckons me. I've been drinking smoothies and Slurpees constantly. I'm on the hunt for molds to make my own popsicles. My sunglasses have left practically permanent indentations on my nose, and I've been relishing our top-down drives

Usually around the time of our first 90 degree day I find myself counting the minutes until fall comes again, with its cool air and shorter days. But not this year. This year, I am squeezing every bit of heat and light out of summer that I can.

This Saturday is the Summer Solstice - the year's longest day, and once it's over the earth will take its turn back towards the dark. But before that turn is complete there are barbecues and ice cream and pool days to enjoy. There are top down drives, lazy days, outdoor runs and family weekends.

This is summer. And it is everything I need.

1 comment:

  1. So glad that you are soaking in this season and that it is filling you up.

    ReplyDelete