Thursday, March 7, 2013

Home Alone

Things that happen when I'm alone, Part I

Things that happen when I'm alone, Part II

One of the things I really loved about our house when we decided to buy it was that it is a great size. It wasn't so small that we would feel like we hadn't upgraded much from apartment life, and it wasn't so big that we would feel like we were rattling around while it is just the two of us, but it has plenty of room to expand once we need more bedrooms and more space.

Yes, it really is the perfect size.

That is, until David goes away and I am living in it by myself.

Yesterday, David flew to Austin, Texas where his company will have a booth at the South by Southwest trade show. It's an amazing opportunity for his company, and I am incredibly proud of him. But the truth is, being home alone is just weird.

When we lived in our apartment I didn't mind being alone at all because the truth is, I never really felt alone with people coming and going in our building at all hours of the day and night. But being alone in a house in the suburbs where I don't know all that many people is a whole different experience.

I'll get used to it, I know, but this is the first time I'm really alone for any significant period of time since our suburban life began, and my once perfectly sized house feels as big as a castle.

So, what's a girl to do? Bake cookies and watch a Gilmore Girls marathon of course. I may not have gotten a lot of sleep, but I was certainly well fed and constantly entertained.

And with Rory and Lorelai's delightful chatter, it was really hard to hear the wind howling outside, and the creepy settling noises my 100 year old house makes all night long.

It's going to be a long eight days. Glad I made a lot of cookies.

7 comments:

  1. Oh and write for us a lot. Back when my daughter was in middle school, we got hooked on GG. It was something we did together. Then she asked for all the seasons one Christmas. Hence, our marathons began. I came across the boxes recently and I really want to start again. I LOVE that series (but I asked for the complete Ally McBeal for Christmas this year). What kind of cookies? I don't bake because I'd eat them all. So therefore, I will come over and keep you company...you, Rory, and Lorelai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best show in the world! I got hooked on it in college, and have been a huge fan ever since. And now I'm totally into Bunheads on ABC Family, which is written by the writer of GG.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Me too!! I need someone to come help me eat all these cookies!

      Delete
  3. I love GG! I wanted to be Rory and have Lorelai be my mom.

    I remember the first times being alone in our house when my husband travelled. It was weird for sure. It still creeps me out sometimes but I am more used to it.

    Hope the time passes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd help you eat cookies! Maybe you need a dog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm...cookies. I wish we were neighbors. I'd totally help you watch Gilmore Girls and eat cookies. Because those are activities that require lots of help from other women.

    ReplyDelete