Thursday, June 7, 2012

Making Recommendations Part II: My Favorite Families

I am thrilled and amazed at the responses from my very first public romance novel recommendations. I have received countless emails, texts, and calls over the past few days from friends and family alike, who are reading romance novels, and loving romance novels. To know that the people I love and care about are reading the books I love and care about warms my heart.

It is coming upon that time of year for beach vacations, weekends spent poolside, and sundry other outdoor activities. And what outdoor activity would be complete without a romance novel in-hand? So to keep you company during the sizzling days and sultry nights of summer, I offer the second part of my recommendation series. I hope you find something here that strikes your fancy.

Some of my most favorite romance novels are the series that explore family. Nora Roberts is particularly adept at writing these books. She tells stories that span generations, and feature the same characters weaving in and out of each others lives over multiple books. With each book, I feel like I am paying a visit to old friends, checking in to see where their lives have taken them since we last met.


Over the years, I have come to think of some of Nora's families as my own. Together we have experienced love and heartache, joy and sorrow, and unbelievable fun, all the while striving for our happy endings. 

*********************************
I mentioned In my last post that there are some books that will fall into multiple categories. The Templeton series and the Quinn series are just such books. While I think they are among the best books with which to begin an exploration of romance novels, I also simply adore those families. I hope you do too. Here are some more of my most favorite families. I encourage you to dive into these books and get to know them as well as I do. I promise you won't be disappointed.

The Stanislaskis - Nora Roberts
The Stanislaskis hold a special place in my heart. It was with this series that I began my life-long love affair with romance novels and the people who write them. Every time I open one of the books in this series, I am transported back to those high school days, and all these years later, I can still pass some happy hours with this wild and crazy Ukrainian bunch.

Yuri and Nadia Stanislaski fled across mountains on foot with their three children to escape Ukraine. They settled in Brooklyn, NY where they had their fourth child, and raised a family filled with love and devotion. One by one, the Stanislaski children and grandchildren find their passions and their mates, and raise families of their own.


The Books

Taming Natasha (1991)
Luring a Lady (1992)
Falling for Rachel (1993)
Convincing Alex (1994)
Waiting for Nick (1997)
Considering Kate (2001)
Reflections (1983)*
Dance of Dreams (1983)*

*These last two books are not exactly part of the Stanislaski series, but they contain some of the same characters.


The MacGregors - Nora Roberts
The MacGregor series is Nora Roberts' most beloved and extensive family saga. Millionaire Daniel MacGregor, a boisterous Scottsman, is patriarch of this extensive and extended family. Daniel spends his time wheeling and dealing, and playing matchmaker for his children and grandchildren.

The Books - There are 2 ways to read these books; in the order they were published, or in timeline chronology, depending on your preference. I have listed both ways, for your reading pleasure.


Order of Publication

Playing the Odds (1985)
Tempting Fate (1985)
All the Possibilities (1985)
One Man's Art (1985)
For Now, Forever (1987)
Rebellion (1988)
In From the Cold (1990)
The MacGregor Brides (1997)
The Winning Hand (1998)
The MacGregor Grooms (1998)
The Perfect Neighbor (1999)

Timeline Chronology

Rebellion
In From the Cold
For Now, Forever
Playing the Odds
Tempting Fate
All the Possibilities
One Man's Art
The MacGregor Brides
The MacGregor Grooms
The Perfect Neighbor
The Winning Hand

*NOTE: Some of these books are now published in anthologies:

The MacGregors: Serena & Caine (Playing The Odds; Tempting Fate)
The MacGregors: Alan & Grant (Tempting Fate; All The Possibilities)
The MacGregors: Daniel & Ian (For Now, Forever; In From The Cold)
The MacGregors: Robert & Cybil (The Winning Hand; The Perfect Neighbor)

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it great to know that the people you love and care about are reading the same books that you love? :) So when you get together, you’ll be talking about those romance novels that you have finished reading and are currently reading. By the way, I'm also a fan of Nora Roberts. Oh, how I yearn for her new book, "The Perfect Hope" which will be released on the 6th of November. Yes, it's only a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete