Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Moments


I was greeted with this sky when I left my house this morning. It was early and after a night where I couldn't fall asleep to save my life, I was tired, my only thought was putting one foot in front of the other long enough to get into my car and stop for coffee before I got on the train. 

But the sky just stopped me in my tracks. After a few cloudy, muggy mornings in a row that felt more like August than May, today was clear, cool, and exactly the way that mid-May is supposed to feel.

So I took a minute, and snapped this picture even though I was running late and still had to take the cardboard boxes that have been cluttering up my entryway for the better part of a week out to the curb.

Because two minutes ago it was December and we were getting ready for a new year and shoveling snow and wondering if we would ever be warm again. But now all of a sudden it's May and I put away all of our jackets last weekend in a cleaning frenzy and our outdoor furniture is all set up and our lawn needs mowing and everything is coming back to life.

It's a funny thing, time. It just keeps on moving and there is nothing I can do to stop it or slow it down. It's a wild privilege to be living this life that I have worked for and built and nurtured. This life I am proud of and that I am excited to have unfold in front of me. But sometimes it seems like it's flying by. So I think what I can do is notice. Notice the moments - small and big - and to maybe take a minute to document them every now and then

Like a beautiful blue sky on a cool spring morning.

3 comments:

  1. This made me smile, look out my window and notice! I can see much lighter than average traffic on LDS, rippling gray water, contrails streaking the blue sky and blossoms on the trees. Thanks for the reminder, Sam! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right some does just stop you with their beauty. This is such a bright blooming time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this part: " It's a wild privilege to be living this life that I have worked for and built and nurtured. This life I am proud of and that I am excited to have unfold in front of me. But sometimes it seems like it's flying by."

    ReplyDelete